Sunday, January 30, 2011

It has been a disappointing month for working outside. Part of this has to do with a heavy bridge schedule but mostly to do with the inclement weather. Still, the last few days were good for working outside. A beautiful sunny and warm day on Friday. I ate my lunch under the umbrella in the front courtyard and made my decision I would work out in the front during the afternoon. I broke out a new pair of gloves and the new pruners, both ordered from Gardeners' Supply, using my reward money. It was time to start cutting back the skullcaps. I also trimmed the ficus on the entry gate. I moved a couple of plants from the garage although they will be going back in there this week as temperatures in the low twenties are predicted. We have had too much cold weather this year. I'm beginning to get concerned about how I will protect the plants in the greenhouse while I am gone. I may have to move some of them into the house.
Saturday afternoon was Garden a Go Go at Daphne's house. She needed help with her back garden, which currently is just grass. We had a good turnout and celebrated her little dog's birthday! Afterwards I went along to It's About Thyme. There, I was fortunate enough to meet the owner who gave me a wonderful tour of his greenhouse, showing me how he grows from both seed and cuttings. I was really impressed with the set up. The long tables have a heat mat which circulates warm water through micro tubing. Overhead, a misting system which comes on every few minutes for a few seconds. This all made by the owner. They were also potting up bare root strawberries in another greenhouse and I bought a bag of their potting soil which looked wonderful.
Today, sunny and warm and I will work outside before going to the airpot to pick up David.

No comments:

Post a Comment