Saturday, February 5, 2011

It really has been a difficult week for the garden. Temperatures in the low teens to single digits every night and some days not even climbing above freezing. I'm afraid the cold will have had a serious effect on many of my garden plants. I tried to cover some but I think it was to no avail. The snow came a little too late to offer any protection. Something that was really important when we lived in Canada. In the front courtyard the sheet protecting the Whale's tongue agave blew across the water feature, where it promptly soaked up all the water and froze. I hope the pump will recover but for now it is off. The little heater ran constantly in the greenhouse but I had to rely on the insulated walls in the potting shed. The second heater failed last week. Things looked OK in there until yesterday when I noticed some freeze damage on some of the leaves. Sometimes it takes time for damage to show up. I thought to start some seeds using my new heat mat but thing are so crowded in there there is no room to work. It will have to wait a while longer as more freezing temperatures are promised for this next week. I think this is the worst prolonged spell of cold weather we have ever had since we arrived here in 1994. I discovered that I had forgotten to take in the little yellow ice plant I bought in the fall. It was frozen solid in its 4" pot. I doubt that will recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment