Friday, June 10, 2011

I JUST WONDER

So here I am, 6am and waiting for daylight. I have been awake since 4am, the usual awakening time when returning from Europe. Gone from home for 5 weeks and wondering exactly what to expect out there in the garden. I have a feeling it won't be good news. It appears that there has been no rain and temperatures in the 90s for a good part of my absence. Even if things are not looking too bad the problem will be tuning my eye to the arid Texas landscape after the lush gardens of England. For three out of the five weeks we have toured England visiting National Trust properties, particularly those with notable gardens. My head is filled with all those wonderful images and ideas for my own gardens, soon to be dashed, I'm sure, when I see the reality of the five weeks away. I would almost welcome if the foxes had moved into the garden as they did, in my absence, a few years ago. I can see, over my shoulder and through the window against the dawn sky, at least one plant has survived. The American pokeweed. with its panicles of green fruits. That will be one of the first things to go!
The camera is loaded with photographs, the bags are full of washing, and there is nothing in the fridge but an 8oz carton of milk I paid $1.99 for at the airport, just so we could have a cup of tea this morning. Time to put the kettle on and begin the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment